Sunday, October 23, 2011

Some people just don't understand

Sometimes we are reminded how much people do not understand what StuDoc is going through and the sacrifices he makes. Friends and family will probably be adjusting for quite sometime. Some people think he's rude, a bad friend, or cheap. So here's an opportunity to clarify...

1. On MANY occasions I find out that when we go to bed he literally does not know what day it is. And then starts the guessing game and it still takes a while for him to guess right. I'm always shocked when this happens. This is my reminder of how stressed he really is.
2. He only has one free weekend in a whole month to visit with friends and his family, get things done, or have 24 hours straight of relaxation.
3. People will think he's rude for not responding quickly.
4. If he took the time to message, call, or visit with you - you're at the top of his list.
5. Don't be offended if I plan something on his behalf - he asked me to.
6. If we leave some place early, it's because he needs to go to bed so we can wake up around 4:30/5am to start studying.
7. When we decline an invitation, sometimes it's simply because we just didn't budget for it.
8. Sometimes he forgets that talking about digging out the intestines with a spoon on his cadaver is NOT dinner table topic. Again, don't be offended, just change the subject.
9. He's constantly changing his study habits (studying in a group, studying by himself, studying in the morning, studying at night). This is because he's constantly trying to improve. So if your trying to adapt to his schedule and trying to know when he's awake, it's pointless. One week he goes to bed at 10 and the next week he goes to bed at 3am and some weeks he takes naps during the day.
10. Some people think he fell off the face of the earth. I guess that's a good assumption for now.


It breaks my heart watching him go through all of these because I know how hard he works and the sacrifices he makes. Trust me, he'd rather be sitting on a couch with a beer watching football on a Saturday than at a cold lonely library. Encourage him. I think it's always important for him to be reminded of life outside of medical school. It keeps him grounded.

I am happy to say that all of his hard work and sacrifices payed off for CPM1! I am so proud!! :)

On his way to CPM2...

No comments: