Monday, July 25, 2011

White Coat Ceremony

3,500 applicants, 700 were interviewed, and 200 were accepted

Today was the BIG day!! The first day of med school - The White Coat Ceremony, where each StuDoc receives their first white coat. The length of the coat is shorter, as it represents the status of the Doctor (when he graduates he will receive a longer white coat for residency). We headed to College Station early this morning, met up with his family, and watched this StuDoc walk across the stage! I am so proud! We have grown up together and it was a blessing to see God bring him to where he is today. As we were driving through east Texas we were reminiscing on when we were 18 taking the same route to watch him play football. Who would have thought then that we would be making this drive now? And who knows what life will be like and what blessings we will have when we return in 4 years for his graduation!??


I stayed up late the night before making my husband's favorite dessert and decorating our home to continue the celebration! His family wasn't able to attend, so it ended up just being the two of us. Which was fine and made for a relaxing evening.

I also gave him a gift basket filled with goodies and back to school stuff. It is so hard to plan a surprise for someone you live with! I bought him a new journal, planner, notebooks, binders and a few other things that I ended up having to take back because he came home one day with all this stuff himself. Let's just say "I know him well." The finished basket did have: folders, paper, coffee, tumbler, pens, water bottle, aTm cup, sticky notes, mini hand sanitizer and kleenexes, a sleep mask (for naps during the day), candy, gum, and a few other things I'm forgetting. I also got him a gift certificate for a massage and got his undergrad diploma framed for his office. All my stealth moves this week (sprinting out the door whenever he left for the gym and covering our home in streamers in the middle of the night) paid off because he was definitely surprised!

The keynote speaker gave a speech about being a servant leader - Serving and leading his community. My husband was a born leader and has always found himself in leadership positions. I have no doubt that he will fulfill this role as a Doctor. Equally, he already fulfills this role in our marriage.

Servanthood does not nullify leadership; it defines it. ... Headship is the divine calling of a husband to take primary responsibility for Christlike, servant leadership, protection, and provision in the home.
This Momentary Marriage by John Piper







I am a little bittersweet tonight. I am so happy and proud that he got here and take part in his anticipation for this particular moment. But, I am also a little sad that the time has come and from here on out, well, our lives will never be the same :)

With love,
a very proud wife!!

1 comment:

Pete and Carolyn said...

Whit, I am so glad that the internet has provided a forum for me to keep up with you guys! It's been a joy to read about all of these exciting moments in your life! :)
(I know our blog is private now. If you'd like to read it, just request to read it and I'll approve)