Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Celebration of Knowledge

One of the Doctors informed us during orientation that he likes to call his tests "a celebtration of knowledge." I'd like to think I would have done even better on tests in college if the professors called them a celebration of knowledge!

What are medical school tests like?
6-8 hours long
2-3 parts (biochem, histo, anatomy)
just one part is 200 questions
and another part is timed
one test every two weeks
the first test average was a 74
3 level questions
we've met a few people who admit they don't know how to study because they never had to try hard in undergrad and made A's and failed their first medschool test
during orientation, they say your StuDoc will be trying to absorb the amount of information equivalent to trying to drink from a fire hose.

This makes me cringe when I think of taking a test like that every 2 weeks! I keep finding myself saying things like "better you than me!" and "there's a reason why I'm not in medschool!"

Last test, he got sick. Sick to the point where he was coughing all night and it took him a while to go to sleep, and that was after getting home at 1am from the library. I felt so bad for him and was bringing him more medicine to the library every night. Luckily, he did well on his test and got to rest and get better over the weekend to start studying for the next test. Rule number 1: no time for getting sick!!

This week he is taking his 3rd test (I mean celebration of knowledge!) and he is showing his true colors, as in his competitiveness is coming out full fledged! Of course, he only shows this side to me. As I write this, I actually just got a text from him saying two girls just ran out of the anatomy lab bawling because they are so stressed out :( I always feel so bad for them because I know that would be me if I were in their shoes!

Everyone in med school is smart, that's how you got in. But the people that do well are the ones that know how to study and are self motivated and determined. You will also hear Doctors during orientation say how medical school is not only to learn the material, but learn how to do well under pressure, with no sleep, and be able to balance your life all for when you are an M.D.

After this test, the next one falls on my birthday! Yay!! (not!) This is supposedly the hardest test of the semester because it's the end of the first block. Awesome. All the other tests were on a Friday, but this one is on a Monday. I've heard some people say they like tests on Monday and some prefer Friday. If it's on Friday - Pro: you have the weekend to relax Con: you are studying last weeks material and what you are learning that day in class. If it's on a Monday - Pro: you have all weekend to catch up and study Con: say goodbye to fun weekends mister! Which means no celebrating my birthday for us that weekend. But don't worry, I already have a long-time-needed girls weekend planned. Good for me and gives him more time to study without feeling guilty!    Can't wait!! :)

No comments: