Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Parties

Our schedules have been packed! We have had every night scheduled (except for 1 or 2 nights during the week) for the past 3 weeks. If I have to wear another tacky sweater or buy/receive another white elephant gift I might die - Just kidding! It's been so much fun being surrounded by friends, making new ones, and enjoying the holidays.

At my old job, the girls were sweet enough to still include me in their secret santa exchange. So I have been waking up at 7:30 on Mondays to go and drop my gift off each week so they hopefully won't notice it's the one girl that doesn't work there anymore! We have that dinner next week for the big reveal and gift card exchange.

Our Couples Community at church planned a big night where we ordered Fazolis and did a 30 person or so white elephant gift exchange. We brought some ice trays in the shape of Texas and a digital coin counter. Both which were stolen! We came home with some beautiful mugs and 2 books. Woops! Some funny gifts exchanged were: a bug zapper, a gnome statue that was mooning, a stuffed animal dog that barked and farted, toilet paper, boxers, ...

Our Small Group within our Couples Community had a smaller get together. We did a fondue party (2 cheeses and dark chocolate and white chocolate). It was a great idea; everyone hovering around a pot of cheese and talking. It was a tacky sweater party and another white elephant. This time we brought fuzzy socks (big enough to fit a guy) and 2 hand towels with santa's buttons and belt on them. We left with a large coffee santa mug and a paper dart board. Again, we did pretty good!




A group of girls that are students who we have been getting to know were kind enough to invite me to a 'girls night in' scarf exchange. I am definitely stealing this idea for the future! Who doesn't like scarves and one size fits all! Another white elephant gift exchange. I left with one of the new infinity scarves (the ones that are a big loop and you double it up). It was fun to just hang out with the girls.



The med school class of 2015 hosted a little christmas party the other night. It was on a Friday after a test and these students were ready to let loose! It was fun for everyone to hang out. I did worry beforehand about the awkwardness of being a staff member and partying with the students. But I feel it went ok.

Me, Hubby, Ian, and Lindsey at the Christmas Party

At work, the Dean of the College of Medicine and another Doctor invited a hundred people to have lunch with them one Friday. We went to the nicest resteraunt in town. We were served a 3 course meal, including wine (and they kept filling them too!) Can you say expensive??? There were some people who had 1 too many glasses of wine and had to go back to work for the rest of the day. ha! Rule #1 - know your limit and don't get drunk at work events (especially when you have to go back to work!). I was embarrased for some of them. The food was amazing and we were very grateful. This was not hosted by the school and we are pretty sure these two doctors paid out of pocket for this event. Pretty generous!

Our next work party is next week (just through our department). We are getting with our other site (people that I have only met via video conferencing) and going out to lunch. Our director won't tell us the resteraunt, but she said it's the best in town. So I'm hoping it's the one that the Dean took us too! :) Videoconferencing definitely takes some getting used to - you have awkward parts where people talk over eachother, you can't really make eye contact because if you are staring at them then you aren't staring into the camera. It's also hard to join a company culture through videoconferencing. So I'm excited to meet these co-workers face to face and be able to talk to them other than that weeks agenda.

5 down and 2 to go!! I am exhausted and haven't done ANY christmas shopping yet! Yikes! We plan on having a date-day next weekend and spend the whole day shopping and maybe go to a movie and I'm sure hubby wants to stop in a Barnes and Nobles too. Can't wait!

I also got us some Nutcracker tickets! We are very excited. I got cheap ones in the way back (only $12 each) I figure if we are going to start a tradition than we should start in the back and slowly work our way up. That way it gets better each year!


Handmade Christmas Cards

I have also been busy doing our christmas cards. I had such high hopes at the beginning but these christmas parties have stalled them. I am making them myself to save money. But now I might regret it. No not really, it's a lot of work and I have more to do and it's nice to have a project at home. Hopefully, I can get those sent out this week! Hope you all enjoy!


No comments: