Monday, August 8, 2011

Weird

Here are a few weird things that happened this evening that I found note worthy...

So, the church we go to offers a bible study/fellowship group for medical students and families. This is put on by the residents and attendings. They have dinner and a speaker (typically a doctor from the hospital sharing their faith). It's a great place to meet older students, residents, and attendings that will be the director for their rotations in MS3 & 4. We have really enjoyed getting to know all of them and will continue. .... Buuuut here are some weird things that happened tonight....

1) This is about the 3rd night we have gone now and everyone has been so sweet to me (W) and makes an effort to start up conversations with me that are non-medical (which is really hard for most of them, haha). The few non-medical spouses are more of the residents, older, and with a baby on their hip. So I'm sitting at a table with some MS1s and some MS3s. You can imagine the MS1s asking the MS3s questions like "how are your rotations? what all do you get to do?" and so forth. I have never felt so out of place... these MS3s were describing things and using words that I can't even remember, pronounce, or spell for you. One MS1 asked what a word was and when she defined it, I still didn't have a clue what it was. The only word I recognized was vaginal. So maybe it was a good thing that I don't know what they were talking about. I am following the conversation with my eyes and my mouth open, and whatever they were saying sounded really interesting! I just didn't have a clue what they were talking about! Hubby apologized and knew that I had nothing to give in to the conversation. I actually tried to partake in the beginning... for example a 3rd year said he was in his 'medicine' rotation. I think to myself "Medicine? Well isn't this all medicine? Maybe he's learning about actual medicine/prescriptions?" Wouldn't you think that? I don't know. So, to show that I was interested, I asked him "what do you do for 'medicine'? What does that entail?" He said internal medicine. (apparently 'medicine' is short for internal medicine) Oh! Well that would make more since. I am quickly learning their lingo (or their language - words that i understand atleast!) and learning which questions to ask and which questions to lean over and whisper to my husband.

2) One MS3 girl at the table was doing her surgery rotation. She was going on and on about how cool it was and using words I don't know, blah, blah, blah. She mentioned how right now she is doing her pediatric surgery and she says (get this!) that she "loves cutting open babies because their skin is so easy to cut. It's like cutting butter!" Um, ew!!! She was really enthusiastic about it too. That is weird and NOT dinner table topics. But I am the only one at the table that's not a medical student and probably the only one that thought it was weird. To her defense, she didn't know I wasn't a student and therefore wasn't holding anything back.

3) Our speaker for the evening was an obgyn doctor. He was a really nice guy and enjoyed what he had to say. However, when the other doctor (the leader of this group) introduced him as the speaker he mentioned it was his dear friend, they went to residency together, he thought of him as part of their family, and that he delivered his 3rd child and going to deliver their 4th. And the wife was sitting pregnant in the room. Um, weird! Your friend is your obgyn doctor?? That's just weird! He went on to joke 'the ladies love him and the husbands trust him.' I didn't think that was funny and leaned over to my husband and said "awkward! she's in the room!" This is ironic because just the other day we were talking about how in the future we are going to know all the doctors at the hospital and how I will refuse to have someone we know or probably even know of be my doctor. That's just weird! I know doctors view the body differently, but I, a normal person, still view my body as my body! Granted, in this situation the wife was actually an ER doctor too so she fell into the 'it's just a body' category. All of her friends and people she knows are doctors so she probably didn't event think twice. But for me, that's just weird!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

This is hilarious!!! Sounds weird to me!

Pete and Carolyn said...

I totally know where you're coming from. When Pete was in law school all social conversations revolved around law school. It takes time to get used to. You'll get good at changing the subject! :)